If you’re in a hurry and want to know our recommendation. The Kurgo Dog Carrier Backpack is easily our pick for the best dog backpack.
It’s always really useful to have a dog backpack close to hand. You never know when you might need one to bring your dog to the vet, on a hike, or on a long trip. The bag you carry your dog in should be comfortable, safe, relaxing, durable, and reliable for both of you.
In this article, we’ll look at the key aspects you need to need to look for when choosing a dog backpack, the advantages of having one, and how to pick the best dog backpack for you and your dog’s needs. We explain how to use one, then wrap up with a review of five dog backpacks that we believe would work well for both you and your dog.
How to choose the best Dog Backpack
When looking for a dog backpack, you want to make sure you pick one that can safely take the weight of your dog. It needs to be strong, durable, and stable so that you can set it on the ground without it rolling over or collapsing onto your dog.
The tether needs to be the appropriate length. It should not be too short and choke your dog if your dog tries to sit up. It should not be too long where the dog will jump out, and be at risk for choking.
The straps need to comfortably rest and fasten on your body. This makes it easier to carry the backpack for long periods of time.
You should look for bags that have several compartments where you can store your dog’s accessories like a foldable dog bowl, toys, food, doggy bags, and a leash.
Last but not least, you and your dog need to like the bag and feel safe using it.
What are the benefits of having a Dog Backpack?
There are many instances where a dog backpack would be really useful. You can use them on hikes, bike rides, subways, motorcycles, ski slopes, airplanes, out shopping, even dancing… the settings are endless. Anywhere that you need to bring your dog, you can put him in a dog backpack.
If your dog suffers from anxiety, a physical disability, or depression, your dog will probably feel much safer when resting close to you in a dog backpack. Just be sure that you pick out the right one for your dog.
What attributes differentiate one dog backpack from another?
When looking for the right dog backpack, you want to make sure the dimensions will fit your dog. This is perhaps the biggest difference between one bag and another.
You’ll also want to consider the material it is made from. Will you be using the bag outside on trails, or more regularly on flights? You might want to get a bag that is resistant to water and rain. If your dog scratches a lot, you should consider getting a bag that is made from scratch and tear-proof material.
You should also bear in mind if you’ll want to have a bag that lays down or stands upright, and how convenient it is to access your dog from more than one side.
What is the best way to use a Dog Backpack?
There are many ways to use a dog backpack. If you have a small dog or puppy, you can easily carry your dog around on trips like hiking, shopping, or long-distance air travel.
You can also use your dog backpack for transporting your dog to the vet. This can be helpful if your dog gets anxious when to the vet and goes wild when on the leash.
Dog backpacks are great for elderly dogs that need to get outside but are too weak or old to walk around a lot. You can scoop your dog up and put the dog in the dog backpack as soon as he starts to get tired.
Now that you know what to look for and how to pick out the best dog backpack for your needs, here are five bags to consider:
- K9 Sport Sack
- PetAmi Pet Carrier Backpack
- Kurgo Dog Carrier Backpack
- Ytonet Dog Backpack
- Apollo walker Pet Carrier
1. K9 Sport Sack | Dog Carrier Backpack for Small and Medium Pets | Front Facing Adjustable Dog Backpack Carrier | Fully Ventilated | Veterinarian Approved
The K9 Sport Sack measures 17.5 x 11 x 0.25 inches and weighs 15.84 ounces. It will carry dogs that weighs up to 30 pounds. It comes in different sizes, and can hold dogs that range in length from 10 to 23 inches, and a girth up to 31 inches. If you have a Maltese, Pomeranian, Chihuahua, Teacup Yorkie, Papillion, French Bulldog, or Corgi you are in business. The pack comes in a couple of different colors, so you can pick the one that best flatters your pup. The pack is backed by a 60-day quality guarantee, but only if sold by the K9 Sport Sack seller.
- The side panels are ventilated for a cooler experience.
- The pack is complete with over 5 different failsafe and safety features.
- There are dual side pockets, each adjustable.
- The pack has a sternum strap with an avalanche whistle clip.
- The shoulder straps are ventilated and moisture-wicking.
- May not be a very durable and long-lasting bag.
- Price tag is high compared to other bags.
2. PetAmi Pet Carrier Backpack for Small Cats, Dogs, Puppies | Airline Approved | Ventilated, 4 Way Entry, Safety and Soft Cushion Back Support | Collapsible for Travel, Hiking, Outdoor
The PetAmi Carrier measures 12.5 by 10.2 by 16.3 inches. It is designed for excellent ventilation and airflow, with a two-way entry for easy access. There is a zip-up mesh window, which gives your dog more visibility and headroom while resting in a cozy thick bedding lined with sherpa. The pack gives plenty of room for your dog to move around and is firmly structured so as not to collapse. It has a safety strap and buckle to keep your dog more secure.
There is a waist and chest strap for added support while you carry the bag, plus a front pocket and side pouches for your pet’s accessories. It is built with a durable 600D high-grade polyester, and is available in seven different colors.
- You can access your pet from four different sides.
- Comes with a name tag to easily identify your dog.
- Designed for a comfortable fit for both you and your dog.
- Additional safety features to keep your dog in the bag.
- Multiple storage compartments
- Can only carry dogs up to 18 pounds.
- The bag might be too tall to comfortably carry it onto a plane.
3. Kurgo Dog Carrier Backpack for Small Dogs & Cats | G-Train Pet Backpack Carrier | Airline Approved | Cat Backpack | Small Dog Backpack for Hiking & Travel | Lightweight | Waterproof Bottom
The Kurgo Dog Carrier measures 13 by 21 by 10 inches, and is ideal for dogs that weigh up to 25 pounds. It is TSA and airline approved. The armorsole bottom is waterproof, the top is water-resistant, and the front is stain-resistant and easy to wipe off. The inside has a removable and machine safe pad.
The bag itself is lightweight at just over three pounds, durable, and has plenty of soft compartments for your pet and your pet’s accessories. There is a front and top grip handle and organized pockets that zip shut. It comes with a safety harness and has a hassle-free Kurgo lifetime warranty against manufacturer defects when purchased from an authorized seller.
- The bag is made from waterproof, water resistant, and stain resistant material.
- The bag is airline and TSA approved.
- It comes with a built in roll up mesh window.
- It can stand up or lay flat like a carrier.
- Comes with a hip and sternum strap.
- This bag is more expensive than most other dog backpack carriers.
- Bag might easily collapse on your dog.
4. Ytonet Dog Backpack Carrier, Dog Carrier Backpack for Small Dogs Cats, Ventilated Design Breathable Pet Carrier Backpack Cat Bag for Travel Hiking Camping Outdoor Use
The Ytonet Dog Backpack is made with eco-friendly polyester, this back carrier is scratch-resistant and durable. It can fit a dog that weighs up to 18 pounds, and it measures 16.5 x 11.5 x 10 inches. There are two entrances for your dog to stick its head out, and the top pad can be rolled up for more convenience.
It is designed with four breathable mesh windows, perfect for increased visibility and more airflow. It has a firmly reinforced structure and a leash tether for added security. The zipper on the bottom can be locked. The bag comes with a pocket on either side and a removable pad for easy cleaning. The bag also easily folds for convenient storage and is comfortable to wear because of the heavily padded back and adjustable shoulder straps.
- The bag can easily fold down for easy storage.
- The Interior pad can be removed for regular cleaning.
- The bottom is equipped with rubber feet for increased grip.
- The mesh is scratch-resistant, which helps prevent tears.
- The bag is very affordable.
- The bag is only available in gray.
- The interior safety harness might be too short for your dog to comfortably rest with it on.
5. Apollo walker Pet Carrier Backpack for Large/Small Cats and Dogs, Puppies, Safety Features and Cushion Back Support for Travel, Hiking, Outdoor Use
The Apollo walker is larger than most and measuring 11.4 x 12.6 x 16.8 inches, it can fit bigger dogs. It is designed with a well-ventilated set up for great airflow. There is a two-way entry, top mesh window for increased visibility and headroom, and a soft fleece bedding that is thick and comfortable. The bag is sturdy and spacious.
The mesh and zippers are all claw-proof, and the bag is built with a leash tether to attach to your dog’s collar. The shoulder straps have extra thick padding and are complete with chest and waist buckles for additional support.
- The top window is foldable.
- It is built with a practical and sturdy design so as to not collapse on your pet.
- The sponge backing helps with moisture control while you carry the bag.
- The waist strap is adjustable for a more comfortable fit.
- Great airflow and ventilation keeps your pet happy and safe.
- Lead harness might not be very strong and durable.
- The window might be too big and the bag relatively unbalanced.
Carrying your dog in a dog backpack is supposed to be a comfortable and relaxing experience for both you and your dog. While any of the bags above would work beautifully, we think the Kurgo Dog Carrier Backpack is the best option.
This bag is more versatile than the others in that the material is long-lasting and durable. It is waterproof on the bottom, and water-resistant, and stain-resistant throughout the rest of the bag. It can hold pets up to 25 pounds and is safe to go on planes.
The interior pad is easily removed and machine safe, and there are plenty of pouches for all of your dog’s accessories. Two handles make it easy to carry in the horizontal and vertical position, but you can also secure it to your body with a hip and sternum strap.
While this bag is more expensive than the others, the investment could be well worth it. Your dog can comfortably and safely go on adventures, and enjoy the ride.